Diocese of Southwark
|Diocese of Southwark|
Church of England
| Bishops of Kingston-upon-Thames,|
|Archdeaconries:|| Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham & Greenwich|
Reigate, Southwark, Wandsworth
|No. of parishes:||300|
|No. of churches:||370|
The diocese was created on 1 May 1905 from part of the ancient Diocese of Rochester that was served by a Suffragan Bishop of Southwark (1891-1905). Before 1877 the area was part of the Diocese of Winchester.
The diocese is divided into three episcopal areas each of which has a suffragan bishop to supervise it, and each of which is further divided into two archdeaconries, of which archdeaconries five are in Surrey and one in Kent:
- Croydon Episcopal Area (overseen by the Bishop of Croydon):
- Kingston Episcopal Area (overseen by the Bishop of Kingston-upon-Thames):
- Woolwich Episcopal Area (overseen by the Bishop of Woolwich) (Kent):
Bishops of Southwark
|Diocesan Bishops of Southwark|
|1905||1911||Edward Talbot||Translated from Rochester, later to Winchester|
|1911||1919||Hubert Burge||Translated to Oxford|
|1919||1932||Cyril Garbett||Translated to Winchester, and later to York|
|1932||1942||Richard Parsons||Translated to Hereford|
|1980||1991||Ronald Bowlby||Translated from Newcastle|
|1991||1998||Robert Williamson||Translated from Bradford|
|1998||2010||Tom Butler||Translated from Leicester|
- London Gazette: , 21 March 1905. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- London Gazette: . 21 March 1905. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "Historical successions: Southwark". Crockford's Clerical Directory. http://www.crockford.org.uk/listing.asp?id=482. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S. et al., eds (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd, reprinted 2003 ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 274–275. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
|Dioceses of the Church of England|
Province of Canterbury: