Diocese of Bristol
|Diocese of Bristol|
Church of England
|counties:||Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire|
|Bishop of Swindon|
|No. of parishes:||167|
|No. of churches:||207|
The Diocese of Bristol is a Church of England diocese in the Province of Canterbury. It is based in the city of Bristol and covers an area around the City of Bristol in three counties; in southern Gloucestershire, northern Somerset and parts of north Wiltshire as far as Swindon. The diocese is headed by the Bishop of Bristol and the Episcopal seat is the Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, commonly known as Bristol Cathedral.
Until the Reformation, Bristol was part of the mediæval Diocese of Worcester. Under the Suffragan Bishops Act 1534, Henry Holbeach was appointed the only suffragan bishop of Bristol in 1538 and assisted the Bishop of Worcester in overseeing the mediæval diocese. Nearly two years later, Bristol became part of the then newly formed Diocese of Gloucester in 1541.
The following year, on 4 June 1542, the Diocese of Bristol was established and consisted the city of Bristol together the county of Dorset. The Diocese of Bristol continued in this form until 5 October 1836 when Dorset was annexed to the Diocese of Salisbury and the remainder, the city of Bristol, formed part of the Diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. After sixty years, the Diocese of Bristol was "reconstituted" on 7 July 1897, but with rather different boundaries.
The diocese is divided into two archdeaconries, each of which is further divided into deaneries:
- The Archdeaconry of Bristol]], created in 1836, is divided into the deaneries of Bristol City; Bristol South; and Bristol West
- The Archdeaconry of Malmesbury is divided into the deaneries of Chippenham; Kingswood and South Gloucestershire; North Wiltshire; and Swindon.
- Horn, J M; Bristol: Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857: Volume 8, 1996: Bristol, Gloucester, Oxford and Peterborough Dioceses
- London Gazette: , 7 October 1836. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- London Gazette: , 9 July 1897. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
|Dioceses of the Church of England|
Province of Canterbury: