Diocese of Portsmouth
|Diocese of Portsmouth|
Church of England
|No. of parishes:||142|
|No. of churches:||173|
The diocese consists of the three archdeaconries of:
- Portsdown (the Deaneries of Portsmouth and Havant),
- The Meon (the Deaneries of Fareham, Gosport, Petersfield and Bishop's Waltham)
- The Isle of Wight (the Deaneries of East Wight and West Wight).
The Bishop of Portsmouth presides over the diocese, and is the only diocesan bishop in the Church of England not assisted by either a suffragan or stipendiary assistant bishop.
|Bishops of Portsmouth|
|1927||1936||Neville Lovett||Translated to Salisbury|
|1936||1941||Frank Partridge||Died in office|
|1942||1949||William Anderson||From Bishop of Croydon; translated to Salisbury|
|1949||1959||Launcelot Fleming||Translated to Norwich on 18 December 1959|
|1975||1984||Ronald Gordon||Resigned; subsequently Bishop at Lambeth (1984–1991) and Bishop to the Forces (1985–1990)|
|1984||1995||Timothy Bavin||Translated from Johannesburg. Retired|
|2010||present||Christopher Foster||From Bishop of Hertford|
- London Gazette: , 26 April 1927. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- About Kenneth Stevenson. Retrieved on 18 November 2010.
- "Historical successions: Portsmouth". Crockford's Clerical Directory. http://www.crockford.org.uk/listing.asp?id=487. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S. et al., eds (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd, reprinted 2003 ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 266. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
|Dioceses of the Church of England|
Province of Canterbury: