Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham
|Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham|
Church of England
|No. of parishes:||266|
|No. of churches:||313|
The Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham is a Church of England diocese in the Province of York, serving Nottinghamshire. It is headed by the Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham. The diocese was founded in 1884 as the Diocese of Southwell, but added “and Nottingham” in 2005 in deference to the city which is its major population centre.
The cathedral of the diocese, Southwell Minster, is in Southwell in Nottinghamshire, and it is from this church that the diocese was named. Southwell is just a small town but it was chosen as the episcopal seat as its church was appropriately grand to become a cathedral.
The diocese's present territory was originally the Archdeaconry of Nottingham in the Diocese of York, but in 1837 the archdeaconry was moved to the Diocese of Lincoln (thereby switching from the Province of York to the Province of Canterbury). On 5 February 1884 the archdeaconries of Nottingham and Derby were taken from Lincoln and Lichfield respectively to become together the new Diocese of Southwell, which thus served the neighbouring shires, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
Until 2005 the diocese was named simply after Southwell; but in February of that year the diocesan synod voted to request a name change, which was approved by the General Synod of the Church of England in July and by the Privy Council on 15 November 2005.
The arms of the diocese reflect its history: three fountains represent the wells of Southwell, and the chief is divided into three: a stag for Derby, the Virgin Mary cradling Jesus for Southwell Minster and a notched cross for Nottingham.
The diocesan bishop is the Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham. He is assisted by a suffragan bishop, the Bishop of Sherwood, a position created in 1965.
The bishop's residence, bishop's office, diocesan offices and cathedral all remain in Southwell.
|Bishops of Southwell|
|1884||1904||George Ridding||Formerly Headmaster of Winchester College|
(after 1923: Sir Edwyn Hoskyns Bt)
|Born 22 May 1851 in Aston Tirrold, Berkshire. Died 1925|
|1926||1928||Bernard Heywood||Appointed Bishop of Hull 1931; later Bishop of Ely|
|1928||1941||Henry Mosley||Formerly Bishop of Stepney|
|1941||1964||Russell Barry DSO DD||Born 1890. Died 1976.|
|1964||1970||Gordon Savage MA||Formerly Bishop of Buckingham|
|1970||1985||Denis Wakeling||Born 12 December 1918. Died 10 October 2004.|
|1985||1988||Michael Whinney||Formerly Bishop of Aston|
|1988||1999||Patrick Burnet Harris||Formerly Bishop of Northern Argentina and Secretary of the Partnership for World Mission.|
|1999||2005||George Cassidy||Enthroned 11 September 1999. Episcopal title changed to Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham in 2005.|
|Bishops of Southwell and Nottingham|
|2010||20 January 2014||Paul Butler||Formerly Bishop of Southampton; translated to Durham on 20 January 2014.|
|TBA (2015)||bishop-designate||Paul Williams||Formerly area Bishop of Kensington.|
- London Gazette: , 5 February 1884.
- London Gazette: , 1 July 1927.
- London Gazette: , 13 September 1935.
- Young's Local Administrative Units of England
- Orders of the Privy Council, 15 November 2005 (Archived copy)
- "Historical successions: Southwell". Crockford's Clerical Directory. http://www.crockford.org.uk/listing.asp?id=811. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
|Dioceses of the Church of England|
Province of Canterbury: