Diocese of Derby
|Diocese of Derby|
Church of England
The nave of Derby Cathedral
|No. of parishes:||255|
|No. of churches:||332|
The Diocese of Derby contains two archdeaconries: the Archdeaconry of Derby and the Archdeaconry of Chesterfield. The former archdeaconry is divided into the deaneries of Ashbourne, Derby North, Derby South, Duffield, Erewash, Heanor, Longford, Melbourne, and Repton, and the latter into the deaneries of Alfreton, Bakewell and Eyam, Bolsover and Staveley, Buxton, Chesterfield, Glossop, and Wirksworth.
The Archdeaconry of Derby was originally part of the Diocese of Lichfield, but was moved to form part of the Diocese of Southwell when that diocese was created in 1884. On 7 July 1927 the archdeaconries of Derby and Chesterfield became the Diocese of Derby.
The diocesan bishop is the Bishop of Derby. He is assisted by one suffragan bishop, the Bishop of Repton.
The provincial episcopal visitor (for parishes in this diocese – among twelve others in the western part of the Province of Canterbury – who reject the ministry of priests who are women, since 1994) is the Bishop of Ebbsfleet. There are four former bishops licensed as honorary assistant bishops in the diocese.
|Bishops of Derby|
|1927||1936||Edmund Pearce||Previously Master of Corpus Christi.|
|1936||1959||Alfred Rawlinson||Previously Archdeacon of Auckland.|
|1959||1969||Geoffrey Allen||Previously Principal of Cuddesdon College.|
|1969||1988||Cyril Bowles||Previously Archdeacon of Swindon.|
|1988||1995||Peter Dawes||Previously Archdeacon of West Ham.|
|1995||2005||Jonathan Bailey||Translated from Dunwich; also Clerk of the Closet from 1997.|
|2005||present||Alastair Redfern||Translated from Grantham.|
|Dioceses of the Church of England|
Province of Canterbury: