Brightwells Barrow is one of the hundreds of Gloucestershire, in the very south-east of the county, adjacent to the borders with Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Wiltshire. It borders Crowthorne and Minety hundred to the west; Rapsgate and a detached part of Deerhurst Hundred to the north-west; Bradley Hundred to the north; and Slaughter Hundred to the north-east; To the east lies Oxfordshire; to the south-east lies Berkshire; and to the south lies Wiltshire. Great Lemhill Farm forms a detached part of Oxfordshire, locally situated in Brightwells Barrow hundred.
Brightwells Barrow hundred is one of the group known as the Seven Hundreds of Cirencester, granted to Cirencester Abbey in 1189. The meeting-place was in the centre of the hundred at the junction of the Droitwich-Lechlade saltway and a route from Fairford where a barrow was mentioned in 1400. A tree growing on the barrow later gave the name Barrow Elm to the meeting place.
It comprises the ancient parishes of:
- "Brightwells Barrow Hundred - British History Online". Victora County History. 1981. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol7/pp1-4.
|Hundreds of Gloucestershire|
Barton Regis (including Bristol) • Berkeley • Bisley • Bledisloe • Botloe • Bradley • Brightwells Barrow • Cheltenham • Cleeve • Crowthorne and Minety (including Cirencester) • Deerhurst • Duchy of Lancaster • Dudstone and King's Barton (including Gloucester) • Grumbald's Ash • Henbury • Kiftsgate • Langley and Swinehead • Longtree • Pucklechurch • Rapsgate • St Briavels • Slaughter • Tewkesbury • Thornbury • Tibaldstone • Westbury • Westminster • Whitstone