Sheep's Head Way
The Sheep's Head Way is a long-distance trail of 55 miles which winds around the Sheep's Head Peninsula of County Cork. The route follows old tracks and roads around the peninsula from Bantry to the headland and back.
The trail is very accessible and is well signposted (see image on right). The route combines low and rugged hills with coastline and cliffs.
- Location map: 51°32’24"N, 9°51’3"W
The walkway is straightforward and well signposted. It can be walked during any time between April and October; out of season the weather can make cliff walks treacherous.
The trail is divided into eight stages—each representing a half-day's walking.
Among those responsible for establishing the Sheep's Head Way were Tom Whitty, an American, local farmer James O’Mahony, and Jim Leonard.
A Sheep's Head Way cycle trail also exists, and begins in Ballylickey, County Cork. It extends around the coastline of the Sheep's Head peninsula, and ends in Ballydehob.
- Vsiting the wild west of Cork around the Sheep's Head
- Living the Sheep's Head Way - area website listing trails, activities and accommodation
- Guided hill walks on the Sheep's Head
- Top Five Scenic Drives in Ireland on Mydiscoverireland.com
- Clarke, Amanda: 'Walking the Sheep's Head Way' (2014) ISBN 1500198552
- Keane, Barry: 'The Beara, Sheep's Head, and Mizen Peninsulas: 40 walks and scrambles' (Collins Press, 1997) p 87 ISBN 1-898256-29-2
|Long-distance footpaths in the Republic of Ireland|
National Waymarked Trails: Ballyhoura Way • Barrow Way • Bealach na Gaeltachta, Dún na nGall • Beara Way • Blackwater Way • Bluestack Way • Burren Way • Cavan Way • Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail • Dingle Way • Dublin Mountains Way • East Clare Way • East Munster Way • Grand Canal Way • Hymany Way • Kerry Way • Lough Derg Way • Mid Clare Way • Miners Way and Historical Trail • Monaghan Way • Multeen Way • Nore Valley Way • North Kerry Way • Offaly Way • Royal Canal Way • Sheep's Head Way • Slieve Bloom Way • Slieve Felim Way • Sligo Way • South Leinster Way • Suck Valley Way • Táin Way • Tipperary Heritage Way • Western Way • Westmeath Way • Wicklow Way