The Burren Way is a long-distance walking route in County Clare, 71 miles long and crossing the Burren, one of the most unearthly landscapes in the British Isles and one of the largest karst limestone landscapes in Europe.
The Burren Way is designated as a 'National Waymarked Trail' by the National Trails Office of the Irish Sports Council and is managed by the Burren Way Committee.
North of Lisdoonvarna, the Way joins a boreen between the townlands of Ballinalacken and Formoyle, crossing the plateau above the Caher Valley below Slieve Elva mountain. This section passes a number of places of historical interest, including Ballinalacken Castle, several ruined stone forts and Newtown Castle.
The Burren Way originally followed a trail above the Cliffs of Moher from Hag's Head. Many walkers now start from Ballyvaughan to walk the boreen the Way follows in its northern sections and eschew the southern sections altogether.
A review of the National Waymarked Trails in 2010 found low usage of the Burren Way by multiday walkers but high usage by day walkers on certain sections.
- |title=Burren Way - Irish Trails (Irish Sports Council)
- Fewer 1996, pp. 87–91.
- "Burren Way Map" (pdf). Shannon Regional Trails. http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/media/Media,6180,en.pdf. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- O'Dwyer, John G. (18 July 2003). "These boots were made for walking, but not on roads, roads, roads…". The Irish Times (Dublin): p. 18.
- O'Dwyer, John G. (29 November 2008). "A road less travelled". The Irish Times (Dublin=): p. D6.
- Fewer, Michael (1996). The Way-marked Trails of Ireland. Dublin: Gill & Macmillan. ISBN 0-7171-2386-3.
|Long-distance footpaths in the Republic of Ireland|
National Waymarked Trails: Ballyhoura Way • Barrow Way • Bealach na Gaeltachta, Dún na nGall • Beara Way • Blackwater Way • Bluestack Way • Burren Way • Cavan Way • Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail • Dingle Way • Dublin Mountains Way • East Clare Way • East Munster Way • Grand Canal Way • Hymany Way • Kerry Way • Lough Derg Way • Mid Clare Way • Miners Way and Historical Trail • Monaghan Way • Multeen Way • Nore Valley Way • North Kerry Way • Offaly Way • Royal Canal Way • Sheep's Head Way • Slieve Bloom Way • Slieve Felim Way • Sligo Way • South Leinster Way • Suck Valley Way • Táin Way • Tipperary Heritage Way • Western Way • Westmeath Way • Wicklow Way