The Hundred of Narberth is a hundred in Pembrokeshire, named after the town of Narberth, which it contains. It is situated in the east of the county, bounded to the east by Carmarthenshire; to the north by Dungleddy Hundred; to the west by Roose Hundred; and to the south-west by Castlemartin Hundred. It had a population of 21,448 in 2011.
The hundred was formed by the Laws in Wales Act 1535 from parts of the pre-Norman cantrefs of Penfro (the commote of Coedrath) and Cantref Gwarthaf (the commote of Efelfre). It derives its Welsh-language name from the town and district of the same name, which means "(district) by the wood", (that is the forest of Coedrath). The hundred spans the Landsker line, with the parishes of Velfrey being identified by George Owen as Welsh-speaking, and the southern coastal part being English-speaking, part of Little England beyond Wales.
The hundred comprises the ancient parishes of:
*: In Dungleddy hundred.
†: Remainder in Castlemartin Hundred.
- Charles, B. G., The Placenames of Pembrokeshire, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1992, ISBN 0-907158-58-7, p 463
- Charles, ibid, p 531
- Owen, George, The Description of Pembrokeshire Dillwyn Miles (Ed), Gomer, 1994, ISBN 185902-120-4, p 51
- Location map: 51°47’53"N, 4°44’35"W
|Hundreds of Pembrokeshire|