|Tower shape:|| cylindrical tower|
with gallery and lantern
|Tower marking:|| white tower with one|
broad black horizontal band
|Light:||Fl WR 12s|
|Focal height:||148 feet|
|Owned by:||Commissioners of Irish Lights|
Rockabill Lighthouse is an active 19th century lighthouse, on the larger of the two islands that form Rockabill. The islands lie some three miles off the east coast of Ireland, north-east of Skerries, in County Dublin. The lighthouse is operated and maintained by the Commissioners of Irish Lights.
In 1837 the Drogheda Harbour Commissioners proposed that a lighthouse be built on Rockabill, with the costs to be paid by tolls on the shipping using Drogheda harbour. In 1838, Trinity House, which was then in charge of lights in Ireland, declined the request. In 1853 however the Trinity Board reversed its decision and authorized the construction of the lighthouse. Construction began in 1855 under the supervision of the Burgess brothers, William and James, who were builders from Limerick. The lighthouse tower was built 1855–1860 of granite from the Mourne Mountains in County Down and local limestone from Milverton. The total cost of all buildings and equipment was £13,248. The light was placed into operation on 1 July 1860.
Structure and operation
The focal plane of the lantern is 148 feet above the sea. The round lighthouse tower is built of granite and is 105 feet high, including the lantern and gallery. The light tower is painted white with one broad black horizontal band. In 1918, the station was also equipped with a fog horn, which gives four blasts every minute. A keeper's residence and other buildings are located at the station, which is operated by the Commissioners of Irish Lights. The lighthouse was automated in March 1989.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Rockabill Lighthouse)