Diocese of Armagh
|Diocese of Armagh|
Church of Ireland
|Bishop:||Richard Clarke, Archbishop of Armagh|
|Cathedral:||St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh|
|No. of parishes:||44|
The diocesan bishop is the Archbishop of Armagh, the senior bishop of the Church of Ireland whose province covers the northern half (approximately) of the island of Ireland and who bears the title "Primate of All Ireland".
Overview and history
As of 2011 the diocese had 31,000 parishioners in its 44 parishes. Ordained and lay ministry involved 47 serving and 28 retired clergy; 13 Diocesan Readers and 37 Parish Readers.
The diocese traces its history to St Patrick in the 5th century, who according to tradition founded the see. The Church of Ireland was reformed under King Henry VIII. It was disestablished in 1871, but retained its schools and of course its churches.
The list of bishops begins traditionally with St Patrick as the abbot of a monastic brotherhood in Armagh. The list of early abbots is uncertain and possibly largely fictional. The first abbot to whom the title 'Bishop of Armagh' is attributed was Saint Cormac of Armagh, who died in about 497, in the uncertain, early period. The first named Archbishop of Armagh was Cellach of Armagh, consecrated in 1105.
- "Irish and Universal". Church of Ireland. 1996. https://www.ireland.anglican.org/our-faith/apck/irish-and-universal. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Cross, F. L. (ed.) (1957) Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church; p. 86
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-24. https://web.archive.org/web/20140424043730/http://armagh.anglican.org/index.php/archbishop/. Retrieved 2014-02-23.