Diocese of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory
|Diocese of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory|
Church of Ireland
|Cathedral:|| St John's Cathedral, Cashel,|
Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford,
St Carthage's Cathedral, Lismore,
St Canice's Cathedral,
St Laserian's Cathedral, Old Leighlin
The Diocese of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory, also known in fall as the 'United Dioceses of Cashel, Waterford and Lismore with Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin' is a diocese of the Church of Ireland in the south-eastern part of Ireland that was formed from a merger of older dioceses in 1977. The diocese is part of the Province of Dublin.
History since the Reformation
When the Church of England broke communion with Rome, the Church of Ireland followed, by an Act of the Irish Parliament,. Initially the provinces and dioceses remained as before the Reformation, the Archbishop of Cashel presiding over the dioceses of Munster, amongst them Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford.
The bishoprics of Ferns and Leighlin were united in 1597.
Under the Church Temporalities (Ireland) Act 1833, the two provinces of Dublin and Cashel were merged into a single Province of Dublin, and the Diocese of Ferns and Leighlin was merged with the Diocese of Ossory]] to form the Diocese of Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin in 1835.
Under the same Act, the Diocese of Cashel and Emly merged with the Dioceses of Waterford and Lismore from 14 August 1833.
In 1977, Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin merged with its neighbour, Cashel and Waterford, and the resultant union has since borne the unwieldy name of the "United Dioceses of Cashel and Ossory". In practice the Diocese of Ferns continued in a form of existence an autonomous entity with its own Diocesan Council and Synod, but in 2013 this was closed down.
The Ossory Clerical Society/Association was an evangelical organisation founded by Church of Ireland Clergy in Ossory in 1800.
Cathedrals of the united diocese
- St John's Cathedral, Cashel
- Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford
- Lismore CathedralSt Carthage's Cathedral, Lismore
- St Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny
- St Edan's Cathedral, Ferns
- St Laserian's Cathedral, Old Leighlin
|Bishops of Cashel and Ossory|
|1977||1980||John Armstrong||Bishop of Cashel and Waterford until 1977; translated to Armagh on 25 February 1980.|
|1997||2002||John Neill||Translated from Tuam, Killala and Achonry. Translated to Dublin and Glendalough.|
|2006||present||Michael Burrows||Previously Dean of Cork.|
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Diocese of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory)
- The United Dioceses of Cashel and Ossory
- Cashel & Ossory. Church of Ireland website. Retrieved on 8 January 2009.
- Fryde, ibid., p. 404.
- Cotton, Henry (1848). The Succession of the Prelates and Members of the Cathedral Bodies of Ireland. Fasti ecclesiae Hiberniae. Vol. 2, The Province of Leinster. Dublin: Hodges and Smith. pp. 383–387.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third Edition, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 382. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- "Historical successions: Cashel". Crockford's Clerical Directory. http://www.crockford.org.uk/listing.asp?id=960. Retrieved 30 June 2012.