St John's Cathedral, Cashel
|St John's Cathedral, Cashel|
The Cathedral Church of St John the Baptist
Cashel, County Tipperary
|Church of Ireland|
|Diocese of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory|
The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Baptist and Saint Patrick's Rock is a cathedral of the Church of Ireland in Cashel, County Tipperary. It is one of the cathedrals of the Diocese of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory, a diocese created from several mergers so as to leave it with the remarkable total of six cathedrals.
St John's was previously the cathedral of the Diocese of Cashel, before it was merged into a wider see. Cashel was the seat of an Archbishop, until the Province of Cashel was united with that of Dublin in 1838.
The historic cathedral of the diocese and province stood on the Rock of Cashel, which had formerly been the seat of the Kings of Munster. This mediæval cathedral was closed for worship by the Church of Ireland in 1721, and its roof removed by the order of the Archbishop. It remains a ruin on the Rock
The bishop moved his seat to the old parish church of St John, which was subsequently demolished and the present Georgian cathedral completed on its site in 1784. It is from the old cathedral that St John's inherits the suffix to its name, '- and St Patrick's Rock'.
The famous Samuel Green organ was built in 1786.
- Day, J.G.F. and Patton, H.E.: 'The Cathedrals of the Church of Ireland', p123 (SPCK, 1932)
|Cathedrals of the Church of Ireland|
Province of Armagh: