Shenley Church End
|Shenley Church End|
|Post town:||Milton Keynes|
|Milton Keynes South|
Shenley Church End is a village and civil parish in Buckinghamshire, forming part of the new town of Milton Keynes. The ancient parish of Shenley is divided into Shenley Church End and Shenley Brook End, and each lies in a different hundred. Shenley Church End lies in Newport Hundred, whilst Shenley Brook End lies in Cottesloe Hundred. The two, together with the districts of Shenley Wood and Shenley Lodge are collectively known as "The Shenleys".
The distinction between the Brook End and the Church End happened in the 12th century when a new manor house was constructed in Shenley Brook End by the Mansell family. However, by 1426 the two manors were owned by the same person and the distinction between the two places was in name only.
Shenley Church End is also home to the Shenley Toot, a 13th-century motte and bailey (of which only the motte remains), which was originally a home of the Earl of Chester and is now a scheduled ancient monument.
Today, the historic village is the core of the new district that bears its name. The district is bounded by V3 Fulmer Street, V4 Watling Street, H5 Portway and H6 Childs Way and H7.
Education and other services
The district contains a nursery in the former village school, Glastonbury Thorn First School, Denbigh School and Shenley Church End Pre-School (situated in the Leisure Centre).
The local retail centre is an important hub for the parish, containing not only the school, but Shenley Leisure Centre (Charity Trust)(includes sporting facilities such as a sports hall, gym, squash courts and outdoor football/tennis courts, as well as the Sportsman's Rest bar as well as a shopping area comprising a fish and chip shop (Fish'n'Chick'n), a pharmacy, an estate agent, a gym, a barber shop (due to open in 2017), a bike shop, a bookmaker, a charity shop, a Chinese restaurant, a medical practice and a dental surgery. A newsagent closed in 2013, and a bakery (providing supported employment to adults with learning disabilities through MacIntyre) closed in 2016.
In June 2014, Sainsburys opened new supermarket on the site of the former Dolphin Splashdown swimming pool.
Shenley Church End Cricket Club has been in existence since 1947. Previously known as Rickley Park CC until 1992, the club was renamed after moving from Bletchley to play home matches at Denbigh School, but in 2002 SCECC relocated to the bottom pitch at Manor Fields in Fenny Stratford (where Bletchley Town CC play) - though choosing to retain their current name.
SCECC currently have a Saturday side playing in the Morrant Four Counties Cricket League Division 3 and play friendlies on Sundays.
The parish includes Shenley Dens, Shenley Hill, Grange Farm, Crownhill, Oakhill/Woodhill (including HM Prison Woodhill), Shenley Wood (including Medbourne) and Shenley Church End.
- Neighbourhood Statistics 2011 Census, Accessed 4 February 2013
- 'Parishes : Shenley', A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 4 (1927), pp. 445-451. Victoria History of the Counties of England
- Shenley Wood - Milton Keynes Parks Trust
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-04-18. https://web.archive.org/web/20130418230008/http://sainsburys-shenley.co.uk/. Retrieved 2012-07-18.