St Mary's Church, Shenley
|Post town:||Milton Keynes|
|Milton Keynes South|
Shenley is an ancient parish in Buckinghamshire that has formed part of Milton Keynes new town since the 1960s. The parish is divided into Shenley Church End in Newport Hundred and Shenley Brook End in Cottesloe Hundred. It is located to the west of Milton Keynes, on the Roman road Watling Street between Stony Stratford and Fenny Stratford.
The village name 'Shenley' is an Old English word meaning 'bright clearing'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the area was collectively known as Senelai.
The distinction between the Brook End and the Church End happened in the 12th century when a new manor house was constructed in Shenley Brook End by the Mansell family. However by 1426 the two manors were owned by the same person and the distinction between the two places was in name only.