William Wallace Statue, Bemersyde
The estate is beside the River Tweed, the nearest town being Melrose, across in Roxburghshire. The statue here was commissioned by David Steuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan: it was carved of red sandstone by John Smith of Darnick and was erected in 1814. It stands 31 feet high and depicts Wallace looking over the River Tweed.
The statue is today protected as a Category B listed building. In 1991, the Saltire Society raised funds for a renovation which was carried out by Bob Heath and Graciella Glenn Ainsworth.
At Wallace's feet reads the inscription:
- Erected by David Stuart
- Erskine, Earl of Buchan
- GREAT PATRIOT HERO!
- ILL REQUITED CHIEF!
Below the statue, as part of the same construction by John Smith is a smaller statue of a funeral style urn inscribed as follows:
- Sacred to the memory of Wallace
- The peerless Knight of Ellerslie [sic]
- Who wav'd on Ayr's Romantic shore
- The beamy torch of Liberty
- And roaming round from Sea to Sea
- From Glade obscure of gloomy Rock
- His bold companions call'd to free
- The Realm from Edward's Iron Yoke.