Farm house at Humberton
Humberton otherwise Humburton is a hamlet and civil parish in Yorkshire. It is situated two miles east from Boroughbridge, on the north side of the River Ure. The hamlet lies about one mile to the west of the Swale, and comprises 2,320 acres of land. The civil parish corresponds to the township, which lies in both the ancient parish of Aldborough in the West Riding, and that of Kirby Hill in the North Riding.
The Ure, which separates the township from that of Aldborough, was crossed by a wooden bridge, at Milby, before the Conquest, and some remains of the bridge are still visible when the water is low. The name Humberton means 'Hund's fortified farm/settlement' or 'Hundr's fortified farm/settlement'. The population was estimated at 50 in 2013.
In the Domesday Book of 1086 Humberton was held by Gospatric. Part of Humberton was described as part of the soke of the king's manor of Aldborough. In 1866 Humberton became a separate civil parish.
- "Hulse – Hungerford', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)". http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51053&strquery=humberton#s11. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Smith. "Place-Names of the North Riding of Yorkshire 180". http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/map/place/Yorkshire%20NR/Humburton. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Population Estimates". North Yorkshire Council. 2013. http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=16424&p=0. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- William Page, ed (1914). Parishes: Kirkby Hill or Kirkby on the Moor. Victoria County History. pp. 367-371. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/north/vol1/pp367-371. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Vision of Britain website
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|