|Highest point:||105 feet|
The island's name is Old Norse (Hildasey) and means either "Battle Island" or "Hilda's Island".
The south coast has two narrow inlets, Cusa Voe and Tangi Voe. "West", the larger of two lochs, has a single islet. A satellite island, Linga lies to the south east. A long line of skerries and holms lies to the north west.
The island possibly takes its name from a Norse war goddess, Hilda, whose name is cognate with the Old English Hild, meaning "battle".
Hildasay has been uninhabited since the late nineteenth century, but as late as 1891 had a population of 30. The island's former industries included curing herring and quarrying granite. The remains of a railway line leading from the quarry to the harbour can still be seen.
- Haswell-Smith, Hamish (2004). The Scottish Islands. Edinburgh: Canongate. ISBN 1841954543.
- "Overview of Hildasay". Gazetteer for Scotland. http://www.scottish-places.info/features/featurefirst1399.html. Retrieved 2007-12-15.
|The Scalloway Islands|
|Islands of Shetland|