East cliffs of Balta
|Highest point:||144 feet|
The cliffs can be dramatic here, amidst the storm-whipped sea the rocks are beaten into dramatic shapes. There is a natural arch on the eastern side of the island.
Balta Island Seafare and Skaw Smolts are the most northerly fish farm and fish hatchery in Britain.
Historic remains on the island include the ruins of a broch and of a Norse chapel dedicated to Saint Sunniva. There are no census records of more recent inhabitation.
John MacCulloch visited Balta in May 1820 to carry out the Trigonometrical Survey for the Ordnance Survey. Balta was the northernmost station of the zenith sector.
The Balta Light, at the southern tip of the island was one of the first concrete structures in Shetland. The lighthouse was designed by David Stevenson and built in 1895. It was demolished in 2003 and replaced by a small solar-powered light.
|Islands of Shetland|