The Noss North Croo
|Highest point:||594 feet|
Noss is a small, previously inhabited island of Shetland. It is farmed as a sheep farm and has been a National Nature Reserve since 1955.
Habitation and land use
Noss had a population of 20 in 1851 but has had no permanent inhabitants since 1939. The main focus of settlement on Noss was around the low lying west side of the island at Gungstie (from the Old Norse for a landing place).
Gungstie was built in the 1670s and is currently used by the seasonal wildlife wardens. Another settlement at Setter, on the south east of the island was inhabited until the 1870s and now lies derelict. Among the few families living on Noss were the Booth family headed by Joseph Booth (1765–1847). Genealogical records indicate that he was occupied as a farmer and fish curer. Records show that he was resident on Noss as early as 1834.
Noss has been a National Nature Reserve since 1955. The island is linked to Bressay by a seasonal ferry service, run by the wildlife wardens using an inflatable boat.
The sandstone cliffs of Noss have weathered into a series of horizontal ledges making ideal breeding grounds for gannets, puffins, guillemots, shags, black-legged kittiwakes, razorbills, fulmars and great skuas. Otters are frequently seen around the island.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Noss - Scotland's National Nature Reserves
- Haswell-Smith, Hamish (2004). The Scottish Islands. Edinburgh: Canongate. ISBN 1841954543.
- Booth family on Shetland Island Genealogical Database
|Islands of Shetland|