St George's Island, Bermuda
|St George's Island|
The Martello Tower on St George's Island
|Main town:||St George's|
St. George's Island is one of the main islands of the territory of Bermuda. It lies in the northeast of the territory and covers 703 acres, making it and is one of the six principal islands of Bermuda.
The island was originally called King's Island, and it was the first part of Bermuda to be extensively colonised. The town of St George's contains many of the territory's oldest buildings: notably St Peter's Church, and the State House, and many forts, including Gate's Fort. Close to the island's (and Bermuda's) northernmost point, is Fort St Catherine, a 19th-century construction built upon a 17th-century base, which marks the spot where in 1609 the first English settlers arrived, with the wreck of the Sea Venture.
The island is separated from the nearby St David's Island by St George's Harbour in the north, and by a channel known as Ferry Reach in the south. Bridges and a causeway connect it with the main island to the south by way of St David's Island.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about St George's Island, Bermuda)