Seal is an ancient parish in the extreme north-west of Leicestershire, adjacent to the borders with Derbyshire and Staffordshire. If forms the westernmost part of the West Goscote Hundred, 5¾ miles south-west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
It is mostly divided into Netherseal and Overseal but also comprises part of the townships of Blackfordby and Donisthorpe. The latter is situated in a detached part of Derbyshire formed from the parishes of Measham and Gresley in Derbyshire and Seal in Leicestershire, giving it a most complicated form.
The parish church in Netherseal is dedicated to St Peter, and is a Grade II* listed building. It dates from the 13th century with the tower as a 15th century addition. It was rebuilt in 1874 under the direction of the architect Arthur Blomfield. It is the resting place of Nigel Gresley, the locomotive engineer.
- Location map: 52°42’50"N, 1°34’41"W