|Council:||North West Leicestershire|
|North West Leicestershire|
Donisthorpe is a village in north-west Leicestershire that also partially falls within a detached part of Derbyshire. The township comprises parts of three separate ancient parishes: Measham and Church Gresley (part of Derbyshire) and Seal (part of Leicestershire); all three parishes being interleaved to a great extent. For civil purposes it falls within the joint civil parish of Oakthorpe, Donisthorpe and Acresford.
In 1086, Donisthorpe was part of the land given to Nigel of Stafford by William the Conqueror.
The railway came to Donisthorpe in 1873 in the guise of the Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway. The line finally closed in 1970, with the last existing section of the ANJR operating as the heritage Battlefield Line Railway.
The village was also home to the Donisthorpe Colliery, one of the many to fall victim to the decimation of the coal mining industry. The pit closed in 1991, and the character of the village has changed radically over the last decade. At the time of the closure it was very much a 'mining village', with a strong but insular sense of community and four local shops (including a post office). The shops proceeded to close one by one, and the former mine site was developed into a housing estate. The colliery site has since become the Donisthorpe woodland park.
The population of the village leans far more heavily now towards young professionals - doctors, lawyers etc. Further signs of the departing heart of the old community came with the departure of the vicar of St John's Church in 2006. It was announced there would be no permanent replacement, with the vicarage being sold, whilst the church hall has now been condemned. The Church is now part of a team ministry based in the nearby village of Measham.
- The Domesday Book
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|