St James' church
History & Amenities
Wyesham is effectively a suburb of Monmouth, the county town. The Forest of Dean starts uphill from Wyesham and Offa's Dyke Path long distance footpath passes above the village and the Wye Valley Walk runs close by beside the river.
St James church
St James's church forms part of the Church of England Diocese of Hereford. It is located on the south-west side of Wyesham Road at its junction with Wyesham Avenue, in a large churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in Decorated Gothic style in 1873-5 to designs of architect J.P.Seddon of Llandaff. The tower was completed in 1890 but since then there has been very little alteration of the building.
The church is built of purple snecked red sandstone with buff Forest of Dean stone dressings, walls battered below string course, and with steeply-pitched Welsh slate roofs. It comprises aisleless nave, chancel, vestry with hipped roof, and narrow three-stage saddle-back porch tower on the north-west. Inside boarded arched roofs, with iron tie-bars in the nave. Walls are rendered and the floors tiled. Fittings include a plain octagonal font (fifteenth century, from Rockfield church), octagonal pulpit on a stem, and a heavy alabaster reredos - a later insertion. Stained glass includes works by Cox & Co (1875 & 1882), Comper (1906), and A.J.Davies (1926).
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (2000), p.605.