Trelleck Grange (or Trellech Grange) is a small hamlet in a rural area of Monmouthshire, located three miles south of Trellech, two miles west of Tintern, and seven miles south of Monmouth, the county town. It sits on high ground above the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Tintern Abbey, between two tributaries of the Angiddy Brook.
History and amenities
The area was once part of the manor of Trellech, with a church known as Ecclesia Mainuon, but in 1138 it was granted to the monks of the then newly established Tintern Abbey by Gilbert de Clare, the lord of Striguil or Chepstow. The monks then cultivated it as a grange, making it the principal farm for food production for the Abbey.
A small parish church, with no known dedication, still exists, surrounded by farm buildings. It was largely rebuilt on the original foundations in 1861.
The village sits above the Angiddy valley and provided homes and accommodation for the 'Iron workers' who worked in the many iron works in the area, including Pontysaison between 1600 and 1870. There are two known 'Squatters' houses in Trellech Grange which eventually became proper houses; the Duke of Beaufort allowed squatters as long as they paid a rent.
- Sir Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire, vol.2 part 2, 1913
- Kelly's 1901 Directory of Monmouthshire on Trelleck Grange
- Geograph photos for Trelleck Grange
- Trelleck Grange Church
Coordinates:building it up.