The Street, Shalford
Shalford is a village in Surrey, in the rural heart of the shire on the A281 Horsham road immediately south of Guildford. It has a railway station which is between Guildford and Dorking on the Reading to Gatwick Airport line.
The Tilling Bourne joins the River Wey at Shalford adjacent to the parish church. For centuries, the river provided an important source of income for the village demonstrated by the industries mentioned by those articles, such as gunpowder manufacture. Cranleigh Waters joins the Wey at the northern terminus of the Wey and Arun Canal/East Branch of the Wey. Shalford was a landing place for barges, and continues to be visited by boats today — but for pleasure rather than trade.
The surviving mill is now preserved as a tourist attraction: Shalford Mill, Grade II* listed, stands in the centre of the village opposite the Sea Horse public house. It was built in the 18th century and is now owned by the National Trust.
Shalford appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Scaldefor. It was held by Robert de Wateville from Richard Fitz Gilbert. Its domesday assets were: 4 hides; 1 church, 3 mills worth 16s, 11½ ploughs, 4 acres of meadow, wood worth 20 hogs. It rendered £20.
The village also became well known for "the Great Fair of Shalford" which was set up by a charter issued by King John. In its heyday, it was said to have covered 140 acres and attracted merchants from across the country.
The mills continued to be built and operated there for hundreds of years. One still survives intact today.
Sights of the village
Many older cottages do survive. One of the finest properties, Shalford House, dated back to the Tudor period and featured a carved stone fireplace dated 1609. Unfortunately, Shalford House was demolished in 1967 to make way for a water treatment plant.
There are many Grade II listed structures including stocks and whipping post.
The village of Peasmarsh on the west bank of the river Wey between Artington and Godalming is contained in the parish. It consists of a large retirement home; Astolat and Weyvern business parks which include a large Land Rover service centre, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, SMC Renault, Harley Davidson, IGuzzini Illuminazione (lights), Marchon UK, Maui Jim (eyeware companies), Integrian security, WHSmith plc and Efamol essential fatty acids, and Doble powertest HV testing and equipment; and four short residential roads close to the River Wey Navigation including Tilthams Green. A woodland surrounding the rebuilt manor house, being higher up than most of the reclaimed marshland, is named Peas Marsh.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Shalford, Surrey)
- The River Wey and Navigations
- Shalford Choral Society, 1905 founding member of the Leith Hill Music Festival
- National Heritage List 1294360: Shalford Mill
- Surrey Domesday Book
- National Heritage List 1294444: St Mary's Church
- National Heritage List 1029494: Shalford, Surrey, Fosters Row National Heritage List 1029314: Shalford, Surrey Tilehouse Farm Barn National Heritage List 1029498: Shalford, Surrey Stone base to cross National Heritage List 1029499: Shalford, Surrey Mill Cottage, Watermill Cottage National Heritage List 1029500: Shalford, Surrey Mill Lane Cottages National Heritage List 1029501: Shalford, Surrey Debnershe National Heritage List 1029502: Shalford, Surrey The Mill House National Heritage List 1029503: Shalford, Surrey The First School National Heritage List 1377773: Shalford, Surrey Gate to First School National Heritage List 1029504: Shalford, Surrey Beech House National Heritage List 1029505: Shalford, Surrey 20-22 The Street National Heritage List 1029506: Shalford, Surrey Shalford Park Cottage National Heritage List 1189242: Shalford, Surrey Whitnorth National Heritage List 1189247: Shalford, Surrey The Seahorse public house National Heritage List 1189256: Shalford, Surrey 36-40 The Street National Heritage List 1189261: Shalford, Surrey 24-30 The Street National Heritage List 1189301: Shalford, Surrey 16-18 The Street National Heritage List 1246023: Shalford, Surrey Cemetery Chapel National Heritage List 1246024: Shalford, Surrey Cemetery Lychgate National Heritage List 1294358: Shalford, Surrey Lemon Bridge Cottage National Heritage List 1294391: Shalford, Surrey Stocks and whipping post National Heritage List 1294392: Shalford, Surrey Bridge over Tillingbourne National Heritage List 1294443: Shalford, Surrey 69 Station Road National Heritage List 1377772: Shalford, Surrey 49 & 51 The Street National Heritage List 1377774: Shalford, Surrey 32-34 The Street National Heritage List 1029494: Shalford, Surrey Cemetery wall National Heritage List 1391835: Shalford, Surrey The Firs National Heritage List 1393082: Shalford, Surrey War Memorial
- National Heritage List 1188371: Shalford, Surrey Barn in Peasmarsh
- National Heritage List 1189307: Shalford, Surrey Barn in Peasmarsh
- National Heritage List 1377775: Shalford, Surrey Farmhouse in Peasmarsh