St Bartholomew's Church
|Post town:||Sowerby Bridge|
Ripponden and its villages were formerly served by the Rishworth branch line from Sowerby Bridge; Ripponden and Barkisland railway station closed to passengers in 1929 and the line was closed completely in 1958.
The Old Bridge Inn in the village is the home of an annual pork pie competition. The Old Bridge, or Waterloo Bridge, near the Inn is on the old packhorse road through the village and is also known as the Packhorse Bridge.
On 6 July 2014, Stage 2 of the 2014 Tour de France, from York to Sheffield, passed through the village. On leaving Ripponden, riders undertook the third climb of the stage, the Category 3 Côte de Ripponden: 1,400 yards long with an average gradient of 8.6%.
Sir Norman Howard Bottomley, Air Chief Marshal of the RAF and Commander-in-Chief of RAF Bomber Command in 1945, was born in Ripponden in 1891.
Nobel Prize–winning physicist Prof Richard Feynman was a regular visitor to the village in the 1960s-1980s, with his wife who was born locally. He also spent significant time in nearby Mill Bank.
- "Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Calderdale". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/viewFullDataset.do?instanceSelection=03070&productId=779&$ph=60_61&datasetInstanceId=3070&startColumn=1&numberOfColumns=8&containerAreaId=790270. Retrieved 2 September 2009.
- "Civil parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11127954&c=Ripponden&d=16&e=62&g=6370848&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1456227814959&enc=1. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- "Welcome". http://www.rippondenparishcouncil.co.uk/. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Burgess, Neil (2014). The lost railways of Yorkshire's West Riding (1 ed.). Catrine: Stenlake. p. 66. ISBN 9781840336573.
- "Relics are found in Ripponden reservoir". Johnstone Publishing. 28 October 2014. http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/calderdale/relics-are-found-in-ripponden-reservoir-1-6909519. Retrieved 11 May 2016. "An exciting discovery made at a reservoir in Ripponden has given a new insight into the lives of prehistoric civilizations in the area"
- Bennett, Paul (9 September 2009). "Ringstone Edge Cairn Circle". https://megalithix.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/ringstone-edge/. Retrieved 11 May 2016. "If we visit this site today, all we are left with is a scattered mass (or perhaps that should that be ‘mess’) of many hundreds of stones"
- "Rushbearing Festival is one of a kind". Johnstone Publishing. 11 September 2015. http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/calderdale/slideshow-rushbearing-festival-is-one-of-a-kind-1-7456145. Retrieved 11 May 2016. "The weekend drew to a close as the procession arrived in Ripponden"
- Hannon, Paul (2001). Calderdale way. (2 ed.). Hillside. p. 10. ISBN 978-1-870141-71-0.
- Historic England. "The Bridge Inn (542485)". PastScape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=542485. Retrieved 12 May 2016
- "Pork Pie Battle Hits Ripponden". Porkpieclub.net. 15 January 2010. http://porkpieclub.net/index.php/pork-pie-history/12-pork-pie-battle-hits-ripponden.html. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Events & Festivals". Visitcalderdale.com. Archived from the original on 1 March 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140301163837/http://www.visitcalderdale.com/EventsFestivals/tabid/474/language/en-US/Default.aspx. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Ripponden pub hosts 23rd annual pork pie competition". Johnstone Publishing. 11 September 2015. http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/ripponden-pub-hosts-23rd-annual-pork-pie-competition-1-7231233. Retrieved 11 May 2016. "Professional and amateur pork pie enthusiasts battled it out in an annual pork pie competition"
- Historic England. "Ripponden Old Bridge (47498)". PastScape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=47498. Retrieved 12 May 2016
- "1933 Who's Who in British Aviation: Name B". http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1933_Who%27s_Who_in_British_Aviation:_Name_B. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Richard Feynman (2005). Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: The Letters of Richard P. Feynman. Basic Books. ISBN 978-0465023714. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfectly-Reasonable-Deviations-Beaten-Track/dp/0465023711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434824349&sr=8-1&keywords=perfectly+reasonable.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|