Pendleton is a small village and parish in the hundred of Blackburnshire, in northern Lancashire. It is close to the towns of Whalley and Clitheroe. The parish lies on the north west side of Pendle Hill below the Nick o' Pendle. The village is just off the A59 Liverpool to York main road, since the construction of the Clitheroe By-Pass. Older roads through the parish include one from Clitheroe to Whalley which passes through the Standen area and another to Burnley which passes Pendleton Hall.
According to the United Kingdom Census 2011, the parish has a population of 349, an increase from 203 in the 2001 census.
The parish adjoins the other Ribble Valley parishes of Clitheroe, Mearley, Sabden, Wiswell, Barrow and Little Mitton. Higher areas of the parish, west of the village are part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Wymondhouses (an old farm in the south of the parish) was purchased in 1667 by the Nonconformist preacher Thomas Jollie. He had a meeting-place licensed in 1672, later building a chapel that was still in-use until the 1860s.
Pendleton also has an interesting history related to traditional folk customs and the witchcraft persecutions. A book was written on this subject entitled The Pendle Witches by William Harrison Ainsworth, published 1849. Doreen McGlashan, born Doreen Wilson, a Pendleton native states that as a child in the 1920s there was frequent talk of witches and witchcraft in the village, and that she & her siblings were kept indoors on certain Saturdays because of "witches Sabbaths" happening in the town on those days. She also recounts large May Day celebrations in her youth which included dancing around a maypole, and states that as a girl she specifically remembers "pretty girls" often being suspected of witchcraft by the villagers. Most likely all such folk beliefs and witchcraft stories have by now been forgotten or lost by the residents of Pendleton, except perhaps by people who possess family lore dating back to the early 20th century.
- Richard Crawshaw Lord Crawshaw of Aintree was born and lived here until the start of the Second World War, 1917–1940
- Nigel Evans, Conservative Party Member of Parliament
- Alan Fletcher, professional footballer
All Saints Church, built in 1847, consecrated in 1872.
Standen Hall, on the western side of the parish near Clitheroe.
View from Pendleton Moor, looking north across the Ribble valley.
- Farrer and Brownbill 1911, pp. 392-396.
- Rebecca Smithers (19 August 2015). "Camra crowns Swan with Two Necks in Lancashire national pub of the year". The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/12/camra-swan-with-two-necks-lancashire-national-pub-year.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics". Office for National Statistics. http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11127473&c=Pendleton&d=16&e=62&g=6486123&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1439935055562&enc=1. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "Domesday Book Online". http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/lancashire1.html#blackburn. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- National Heritage List 1165082: No. 2 Wymondhouses, Pendleton
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Pendleton, Blackburnshire)