Llanbadarn Fawr, Cardiganshire
Llanbadarn Fawr Parish Church dedicated to St Padarn
Llanbadarn Fawr is an urbanised village and parish in Cardiganshire. The village is located on the outskirts of Aberystwyth situated next to Penparcau and Southgate. It forms the eastern part of the continually built-up area of Aberystwyth. At the 2001 census the population of the civil community was recorded at 2,899. The ancient parish of Llanbadarn Fawr is of much greater size, extending right across the county, from Cardigan Bay to the Montgomeryshire border.
Attractions, history and amenities
Llanbadarn Fawr is named after the church of Padarn the Great, and dates from the sixth century. It predates Aberystwyth, whose castle was originally named after Llanbadarn.
Notable buildings include Saint Padarn's Church, a fine, partly Romanesque parish church on the site of the mother church founded by Padarn (Paternus) in the 6th century and which contains notable 17th century wall monuments.
Llanbadarn Fawr has two pubs, The Black Lion and The Gogerddan Arms, and the University's Llanbadarn campus, which concentrates on subjects such as agriculture and information science, and Coleg Ceredigion's Aberystwyth campus.
Padarn United F.C. play their football in the Cambrian Tyres League.
Tradition has it that the poet Dafydd ap Gwilym was born within Llanbadarn Fawr parish, as it stood in the fourteenth century, at Brogynin, Penrhyn-coch. He immortalised the parish church in his poem The Girls of Llanbadarn. This church can still be visited today.
- Davies, John; Jenkins, Nigel; Menna, Baines et al., eds (2008). The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales. Cardiff: University of Wales Press. p. 471. ISBN 978-0-7083-1953-6.
- AberOnline - The Online Guide to Aberystwyth
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Lanbadarn Fawr and surrounding area