Parish church of St Mary and St James
|Post town:||Sturminster Newton|
Hazelbury Bryan is a village in Dorset. It is situated in the Blackmore Vale, approximately five miles south-west of the small town of Sturminster Newton. The parish includes the hamlets of Droop, Kingston, Parkgate, Pidney, Pleck, Wonston and Woodrow and the 2011 census recorded that the parish had 480 dwellings and a population of 1,059.
In 1201 the village is recorded as Hasebere. The name is derived from the Old English hæsel bearu, meaning a hazel grove or wood, plus the manorial name of the Bryene or de Bryan family; Sir Guy de Bryan, of Woodsford Castle, gave his surname to the village in the 14th century when he married the daughter of the First Earl of Salisbury.
The original settlement in the village is the hamlet of Droop, which is the location of the parish church. The church dates mostly from the 15th century, though it is perhaps the third building to have existed on the site. The other hamlets in the village are believed to have originated as a result of the Black Death twice afflicting the original settlement, and the villagers responding by burning it and rebuilding several smaller settlements on higher ground nearby.
The geology of the parish consists of Oxford clay in the northwest, a band of Corallian limestone and sand running from southwest to northeast, and Kimmeridge clay in the southeast. Drainage consists of several small streams flowing northwest and north into the River Lydden and north-east into the River Stour.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Hazelbury Bryan)
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- "Hazelbury Bryan". The Dorset Historic Churches Trust. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150923220001/http://www.dorsethistoricchurchestrust.co.uk/hazlebury_bryan.htm. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Hazelbury Bryan': An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 3, pages 105-109