From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Goose Green, Gomshall - geograph.org.uk - 577978.jpg
Goose Green, Gomshall
Grid reference: TQ084480
Location: 51°13’16"N, 0°26’53"W
Population: 0
Post town: Guildford
Postcode: GU5
Dialling code: 01483
Local Government
Council: Guildford
Mole Valley

Gomshall is a little village in Surrey, one of the string of pearls along the Tilling Bourne. The village stands on the A25 running west to Guildford and east to Dorking. Neighbouring villages of the Tillingbourne Valley include Shere, Albury, Abinger Hammer and Sutton Abinger. The North Downs Way is just north of the village.

Gomshall is part of Shere's civil parish.

The Tilling Bourne runs through Gomshall and it has its own railway station, assisting commuters.

Gomshall Mill is the main focus of the village; once a busy mill, it now operates as a pub and restaurant, and the village though small is not short of hostelries, having also The Black Horse and The Compasses.


The Manor of Gumesele was a Saxon feudal landholding that originally included the present day Gomshall.[1]

Gomshall appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Gomeselle. It was held by the King. Its Domesday assets were: 1 mill worth 3s 4d, 20 ploughs, 3 acres of meadow, woodland worth 30 hogs. It rendered £30.[2]

In 1154, King Henry II divided the Manor of Gumesele into three: West Gomshall, East Gomshall and Somersbury. In 1240, West Gomshall was granted to the Cistercian Abbey of Netley in Hampshire and became known as Gomshall Netley. East Gomshall was granted to the Abbey of St Mary Graces, Tower Hill, London in 1376 and became known as Gomshall Towerhill.

Gomshall Mill

For the 1380 Poll Tax, Gomshall had 267 names registered. The occupations written beside the names show land-holders and the usual country crafts but also a high proportion of skills relating to the wool trade; there were spinners and weavers, fullers and pelterers and many tailors. At this time one of the Gomshall manors was held by the Abbey of Netley near Southampton.[3]

Local industries developed based on the plentiful and constant water supply of the Tillingbourne. Those that survived into the 20th century, but are now gone, were corn milling, watercress growing, and leather tanning. Gomshall Mill was the corn mill. Netley Mill pumped water for the Hurtwood Water Company for part of its existence.

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Gomshall)