Godstow Bridge is a road bridge across the River Thames at Godstow near Oxford. The bridge is just upstream of Godstow Lock on the reach to King's Lock and carries a minor road between Wolvercote in Oxfordshire and Wytham in Berkshire.
The bridge is in two parts. The older part crosses the original course of the river and weir stream near The Trout Inn, a well-known public house. This stone bridge was in existence in 1692 and was probably the one held by the Royalists against Parliamentarians in 1645, during the English Civil War. It has two arches, one being pointed and the other rounded. The newer part was built across the new lock cut in 1792. This has two round arches of brick and was rebuilt in 1892. The North arch dates from mediæval times. The Bridge is a Grade-II listed building.
The importance of the bridge was reduced by the construction of the Oxford By-pass and the A34 Bridge a short distance upstream.
- Thacker, Fred. S. (1968) . The Thames Highway: Volume II Locks and Weirs. Newton Abbot: David and Charles. p. not cited.
- National Heritage List England no. 1369373: Godstow Bridge
|Bridges and crossings on the River Thames|
|Pinkhill Lock||Swinford Toll Bridge||A34 Road Bridge||Godstow Bridge||Medley Footbridge||Osney Bridge||Osney Rail Bridge|