|Council:||Vale of White Horse|
|Oxford West and Abingdon|
Wytham is a village in northern Berkshire on Seacourt Stream, a branch of the River Thames, about three miles north-west of Oxford. It is tucked just west of the Western By-Pass Road, part of the Oxford Ring Road.
The village's name is first recorded as Wihtham around 957, and comes from the Old English for a homestead or village in a river-bend.
The manor of Wytham along with Wytham Abbey (not a religious foundation but the manor house) and much of the village was formerly owned by the Earls of Abingdon. The parish church of All Saints is a mediæval building extensively rebuilt between 1811 and 1812 by Montagu Bertie, 5th Earl of Abingdon.
Wytham Woods is an area of long-established mixed woodland noted for their high population of badgers and long-term monitoring of great tits. The woods are a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The University of Oxford owns the woods and uses them for research in zoology and climatology. The University also has a field station north of the village.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Wytham Village Hall
- All Saints Church, Wytham
- Nature Conservation in Wytham Woods
- Wytham Woods SSSI citation
- Mills & Room, 2003
- Page & Ditchfield, 1924, pages 427-430
- Pevsner, 1966, page 314
- Mills, A.D.; Room, A. (2003). A Dictionary of British Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. not cited. ISBN 0198527586.
- Page, W.H.; Ditchfield, P.H., eds (1924). A History of the County of Berkshire, Volume 4. Victoria County History. pp. 427–430.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1966). Berkshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. p. 314.