The island is named after Bolney Ferry which operated across the river at this point carrying barge horses across to the towpath on the opposite side. This was recorded as being a rope ferry in 1775, and the name for this spot then was Beggar's Hole (or Hall) - deriving from one of the seven halls of Harpsden House which was demolished at the end of the eighteenth century.
- Fred. S. Thacker The Thames Highway: Volume II Locks and Weirs 1920 - republished 1968 David & Charles
- Location map: 51°31’15"N, 0°52’44"W