Cwmcarvan fields from the church tower
Cwmcarvan is a small village and ancient parish in the depths of rural Monmouthshire. It is four miles south-west of the county town, Monmouth and about four miles east of Raglan, off the old A40 road not far from Trellech.
Church of St Cadoc
The church dates from the 13th or 14th century, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, with some 16th-century features. It was heavily restored in the 1870s. The dedication is to St Catwg or Cadoc, a Welsh saint of the 6th century. There are porches on both the south and north sides, supposedly so that the squires of Cwmbychan and Trevildu within the parish did not have to enter through the same door as each other.
- Main article: Craig-y-Dorth
The hill of Craig-y-Dorth, a mile north east of the church, was the site of a battle in 1404 between Owain Glyndŵr's rebels and those of the Crown. According to the Annals of Owain Glyn Dwr, "Here the more part of the English were slain and they were chased up to the town gate [of Monmouth]".
The house at High Glanau was built in 1923 for the writer and garden designer Henry Avray Tipping.