| SO484087 |
Craig-y-Dorth is a hill in Monmouthshire and the hamlet on the hill. It is to be found a mile north of Cwmcarvan but within the same ancient parish. The hill has a gentle, rounded top and a lane runs a ring around it, on which ring the hamlet and its associated farms are found. The name 'Craig-y-Dorth' means "Hill of the loaf".
This hill was the site of a battle in 1404 between the forces of Owain Glyndŵr and those of King Henry IV, who sought to put down Glyndŵr's rebellion. According to the Annals of Owain Glyn Dwr, "Here the more part of the English were slain and they were chased up to the town gate [of Monmouth]".
The hamlet, small as it is, has adopted a village flag which commemorates the battle. It shows, showing two wyverns (legless dragons) facing each other as if in battle, to represent the rival armies, on fields of blue (from the Flag of Monmouthshire) and red (from the banner of Glyndŵr), all above a triangle bearing a heraldic loaf, for the name of the hill and of the hamlet.