From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Church of St Andrew at Cuffley - - 35943.jpg
Church of St Andrew, Cuffley
Grid reference: TL305035
Location: 51°42’39"N, 0°6’48"W
Population: 4,295  (2001)
Post town: Potters Bar
Postcode: EN6
Dialling code: 01707
Local Government
Council: Welwyn Hatfield

Cuffley is a village in the woods in south-eastern Hertfordshire found between Cheshunt, Hertfordshire and Potters Bar, Middlesex. It had a population of just over 4,000 people recorded in 2001.

The village is part of the London commuter belt. Cuffley railway station provides a commuter service to Moorgate station and connects to King's Cross in the evenings and at weekends.


The Church of England parish church is St Andrew’s Church now stands. This is a modern church, built in 1965, which replaced the ‘tin church’ built next to the old village green in 1911.

  • Church of England: St Andrews
  • Baptist: Life Church (formerly Cuffley Free Church) It has founded a daughter church in Potters Bar.
  • Roman Catholic


The railway had an important impact on the development of the village. Cuffley was reached by the Great Northern Railway in 1910, as part of the plan to create the Hertford Loop Line, as a strategic alternative to the main line out of Kings Cross to the North, by extending the line from Enfield Chase.

The early history of Cuffley is recounted by one of its residents, Molly Hughes, in her autobiographical book "A London Family Between the Wars."

On 3 September, 1916 the German airship SL-11 was shot down and crashed in Cuffley during an aerial bombardment intended for London. This incident is commemorated by a Memorial on East Ridgeway to Lieutenant W Leefe Robinson, the pilot who shot the airship down. He was awarded the Victoria Cross. There is also a model of the airship in the village hall. Contrary to many reports of the incident, the SL-11 airship was not a Zeppelin but an army Schütte-Lanz airship. Regardless, the local football team is still nicknamed 'The Zeps' after this event.

In 1939, the Scout Association purchased part of the Tolmers Park Estate that lies within the Parish of Cuffley. Tolmers Scout Camp, was opened on Whit Saturday 1940 by Lord Wigram.[1] Today, Tolmers hosts thousands of young people annually from all over the UK and across Europe; not only Scouts and Guides but schools and youth groups as well.

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Cuffley)


  1. The Scout Magazine: June 1940 issue p.162