|Post town:||Appleby In Westmorland|
|Penrith and The Border|
Crackenthorpe is a small village and parish in Westmorland. It is about two miles north-west of the county town, Appleby-in-Westmorland and twelve miles south-east of Penrith. The A66 trunk road used to pass through the centre of the village until it was by-passed. The population of the parish was less than 100 at the 2011 census.
Crackenthorpe Hall is a large Grade-II-listed house which was rebuilt in the early 17th century and restructured in circa 1685 by Hugh & Thomas Machell. It has since been subdivided into several dwellings. It was reputedly haunted by the ghost of Peg Sneddle, the grey lady of Crackenthorpe. Her body was exhumed and buried in the bed of the River Eden under a boulder of Shap granite known as Peg's stone.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- National Heritage List England no. 1225826: Crackenthorpe Hall (Historic England)
- "Crackenthorpe Hall". http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/lgaz/lk02732.htm. Retrieved 19 August 2014.