View of River Teifi from Cenarth
|Post town:||Newcastle Emlyn|
|Carmarthen East & Dinefwr|
History and amenities
The ancient parish extends for three miles south of the river, including the town of Newcastle Emlyn. In 1934, the civil parish was merged with that of East Cilrhedyn giving a population of 1,022 in the 2001 census.
The River Teifi at this point emerges from a deep ravine over a ledge that produces a spectacular waterfall when the river is in full spate and this attracts many visitors throughout the year. A dramatic painting of the falls was made by Frank Miles and is now at Nottingham City Museum. Miles's father inherited Cardigan Priory from his father, Philip John Miles, but lived in Nottinghamshire as Rector of Bingham.
A dominant feature of the village is the bridge over the Teifi which was built in 1787 by William Edwards of Eglwysilan and his son David. The bridge features their trademark series of circular holes that allow the weight of the structure to be reduced without losing strength.
Other visitor attractions are a seventeenth-century flour mill and coracle museum.
The parish church is dedicated to the local saint, St Llawddog. Although the present building is relatively modern, it is on an important ancient site, and was the "bishop house" of the cantref of Emlyn.
The ancient parish (less Newcastle Emlyn) has an area of 6,320 acres. Its census populations were: 672 (1801); 897 (1851); 638 (1901).
The enlarged parish (post-1934) had an area of 12,098 acres. Its census populations were: 1098 (1951); 1066 (1961); 926 (1971); 971 (1981).
The village is also home to the National Coracle Centre.
- Halstead, Robin; Hezaley, Jason; Morris, Alex; Morris, Joel (2007). Far from the Sodding Crowd. Penguin books. pp. 164–169. ISBN 978-0-7181-4966-6.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
This Carmarthenshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.