St Peter's parish church
|Website:||Filkins and Broughton Poggs|
Broughton Poggs is a village and ancient parish in Oxfordshire, adjacent to the border with Gloucestershire. The parish has a detached part at Great Lemhill Farm, which also forms a detached part of Oxfordshire. For civil purposes this forms part of Lechlade, while the remainder forms part of the civil parish of Filkins and Broughton Poggs. The village itself is three miles south-west of Carterton.
Parts of the Church of England parish church of Saint Peter are early Norman, including the 12th-century nave and font. There is a small Norman window in the north wall. The chancel arch is also 12th-century but the squints that flank it are later insertions. Early English and Decorated Gothic windows have been inserted in the south wall of the nave. The lower part of the bell tower was built around 1200 and the chancel is late 13th century. The north porch may be 13th or 14th century. The south door is set in a Caernarvon arch. St Peter's was restored and altered in 1874, and is a Grade-II* listed building.
St Peter's parish is now part of the Benefice of Shill Valley and Broadshire, which includes also the parishes of Alvescot, Black Bourton, Broadwell, Filkins, Holwell, Kelmscott, Kencot, Langford, Little Faringdon, Shilton and Westwell.
Other historic buildings
Broughton Hall was built in the 17th century and extended in the 18th century. The Old Rectory was also 17th century but has been much altered.
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1974, p. 499
- National Heritage List 1199479: Church of St Peter (Grade II* listing)
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1974, pp. 498–499.
- Archbishops' Council (2010). "Benefice of Shill Valley and Broadshire". A Church Near You. Church of England. http://www.achurchnearyou.com/benefice.php?B=27/441BF. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). Oxfordshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 498–499. ISBN 0 14 071045 0.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Broughton Poggs)