Bolton upon Dearne
|Bolton upon Dearne|
The church of St Andrew the Apostle
Bolton upon Dearne is a small village and ancient parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the part of the Dearne Valley through which the River Dearne passes. It is approximately seven miles east of Barnsley, 10 miles west of Doncaster and eight miles north of Rotherham.
In the early 18th century Barnsley attorney William Henry Marsden Esquire of nearby Burntwood Hall bought the Lord of the Manor of Bolton on Dearne with Goldthorpe for £10,000 together with over 1,000 acres of land. Bolton upon Dearne along with Goldthorpe is recorded in the 1761–1767 Inclosure Awards. The Marsden family continued to hold the Manor until 1815.
The village is served by Bolton-on-Dearne railway station.
There are three primary schools in the village: Carrfield School, Heather Garth Primary School and Lacewood. The main secondary school in the area is Dearne Advanced Learning Centre, which caters for around 1,200 pupils aged 11 to 16 years.
The Church of St Andrew the Apostle is situated on the corner of High Street and Angel Street. It was a 10th-century church with alterations made throughout the centuries. There is a Methodist Church on Furlong Road which was founded in 1832. There was formerly a Roman Catholic church on Station Road, but this closed in the late 1980s, and became an electrical goods shop.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Bolton Upon Dearne Built-up area (1119884706)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/sources/census_2011_ks/report?compare=1119884706. Retrieved 17 December 2018
- Kirkby, John (1284). The Survey of the County of York, Taken by John de Kirkby, Commonly Called Kirkby's Inquest. p. 10.
- "£1 Million Upgrade at Bolton on Dearne Station". Network Rail Media Centre. 16 January 2007. https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/1-million-upgrade-at-bolton-on-dearne-station. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- Vessey, Alex (20 January 2011). "Happy New Year... happy new school!". South Yorkshire Times. http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/schools/happy_new_year_happy_new_school_1_2926291. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Abson, Fred (1986). A history of Furlong Road Methodist church, Bolton-upon-Dearne.
- "Bolton Athletic: FA Cup statistics". http://wildstat.com/p/1/club/ENG_Bolton_Athletic_FC. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Bolton United: FA Cup statistics". http://wildstat.com/p/1/club/ENG_Bolton_United_FC. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Bolton upon Dearne)