Old Methodist Chapel, Barlow
Barlow is a small village in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
This is an essentially rural village, standing about three miles from the town of Selby and from the motorway network. Barlow has around 200 houses spread mainly along the main street; most of them date from the 1960s and later. There are no shops in the village, though there is a licensed social club.
In the early eleventh century, around 1020, Barlow appears in a survey of the estates of Archbishop of York, which included half of Barlow. Barlow is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Berlu, under the entry for Drax. It is recorded that in the time of under Edward the Confessor Barlow was held by Maerle-Sveinn, a major landholder and sheriff of Lincolnshire, as part of his Drax estate. The estate passed after the conquest to Ralph Paynel, who still held it at the foundation of Drax priory in the 1130s.
The village was the site of an airship production factory in the early part of the 20th century and later a munitions depot. Much of the land on which both of these were sited now lies under the ash tip of the nearby Drax power station.
Until 1964 Barlow had a railway station on the Selby to Goole branch.
About the village
The village's two nature reserves offer a network of paths and bridleways for woodland walks but neither allow horse riding.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Barlow, Yorkshire)