Albert Bridge, Datchet
Downstream side of Albert Bridge
in the colours of its 2004 repainting
|Carrying:||B3021 Southlea Road|
Albert Bridge is a road bridge carrying the B3021 over the River Thames between Datchet in Buckinghamshire and Old Windsor in Berkshire. It crosses the river on the reach between Old Windsor Lock and Romney Lock. It was rebuilt in brick in 1927 to replace a cast-iron bridge built in 1850-51.
The Albert and Victoria Bridges in Datchet were built to replace the old Datchet Bridge as part of the rerouting of the Datchet to Windsor roads following the expansion of the grounds of Windsor Castle. Prince Albert is said to have had a part in the design The original bridge was built of cast iron and opened in 1851. In 1914 a large hole appeared in the bridge, but it was not until 1927 that the various authorities had agreed on its replacement and built it.
- Main article: Datchet Bridge
The first bridge at Datchet was a wooden structure built in 1706 funded by Queen Anne. This was replaced in 1770 by a ten-arch bridge of wood on stone piers but this collapsed in a flood in 1794, a ferry being reinstated in its place, until a third bridge was built on the remaining piers in 1812. When this structure collapsed in 1834 authorities in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire could not agree on the replacement with the result that whereas the former rebuilt their half in iron, the northern half was built by the latter in wood. This structure was removed in 1848 because the land on the Windsor side of the river became part of the private grounds of Windsor Castle. It was replaced by the Victoria and Albert Bridges.
- Fred. S. Thacker The Thames Highway: Volume II Locks and Weirs 1920 - republished 1968 David & Charles
- Thames web on Windsor bridges