Wye Bridge, Monmouth
Welsh: Pont ar Wy
The Wye Bridge
|Material:||Red and buff sandstone ashlar|
| Built 1615–17|
The Wye Bridge in Monmouth is a bridge across the River Wye carrying the A466 road. At this point, the river is entirely in Monmouthshire. Immediately west of the bridge, the A466 meets the A40. The total span of the bridge is 233 feet.
The bridge is a Grade-II listed building.
The original wooden bridge was built in the Middle Ages; there is a clear reference to it in the fourteenth century. Earlier references to a bridge at Monmouth may refer either to a bridge over the Wye or to the fortified bridge over the Monnow, although local historian Keith Kissack wrote that the bridge was known to exist in 1282 when it formed a boundary with the Forest of Dean. It was completely rebuilt in stone in the early seventeenth century (1615–17). At that time, tolls were collected from all those crossing the bridge.
A plaque on the parapet records the widening of the bridge on both sides in 1878–80 under the architect Edwin Seward of Cardiff, stating, This bridge was widened 1879 from designs by the County Surveyor, David Roberts Contractor.
The bridge is built of red and buff sandstone ashlar. It has five arched spans with the original pointed arches visible beneath, but with both faces covered by segmental arches carried on the sharply pointed cutwaters.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Wye Bridge, Monmouth)
- Alan Crow, Bridges on the River Wye, Lapridge Publications, 1995, ISBN 0-9518589-9-8, Page 136
- Wye Bridge, Monmouth - British Listed Buildings
- M.L.J. Richards, Monnow Bridge and Gate, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1994, ISBN 0-7509-0415-1, pp.1–2
- Keith Kissack, Mediæval Monmouth, Monmouth Historical and Educational Trust, 1974, p.33
- Glamorgan Gwent Archaeological Trust, Historic Landscape Characterisation, Wyesham. Accessed 4 January 2012
- The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, Wye Bridge, Monmouth. Accessed 4 January 2012