From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
The Queens Head - geograph.org.uk - 937717.jpg
The Queen's Head on Watling Street
Grid reference: SK226012
Location: 52°36’29"N, 1°40’4"W
Population: 9,358  (2011[1])
Post town: Tamworth
Postcode: B77
Dialling code: 01827
Local Government
Council: Tamworth

Wilnecote is a township that forms part of Tamworth, in the Warwickshire part of the town, about two-miles south-east of the town centre. It is one of the largest communities in Tamworth.

Wilnecote appears as "Wilmundecote" in the Doomsday Book and as "Wylmyndecote" in 1349.[2] It is an old coal mining, lime-burning and brick-making area centred on an ancient village on Watling Street. It has several public houses including The Red Lion, The Globe Inn, The Centurion (on the nearby Centurion Park industrial estate) and The Queen's Head. A fifth, called the Sandyback Pub, closed in January 2009 and has since been reopened.

The district is served by Wilnecote railway station with trains serving Birmingham, Gloucester, Newport, Cardiff, Derby, Nottingham, Chepstow, Lydney, Caldicot, Ashchurch, Bromsgrove, Burton-on-Trent, Willington, Peartree, Spondon, Long Eaton, and Attenborough.

Holy Trinity Church, Wilnecote sits on the highest point of the village. Schools in the area include Wilnecote High School.

Stonydelph, which lies immediately north of Wilnecote, is a post-World War II development.

The Holy Trinity Church, rebuilt in 1821, overlooks the village and is built on the Roman road 'Watling Street'. The church design is unusual, as the entrance is halfway down the side of the building, as opposed to the end of the church. This was a consequence of the unusual expansion of the church as the village flourished.

Wilnecote borders Hockley, Dosthill, Two Gates, Belgrave and Stonydelph housing estates are being built along Ninian Way and Hedging Lane.


("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Wilnecote)