St John's church, Weston Rhyn
Weston Rhyn is recorded as Westune in the Domesday Book. Tun or ton means a settlement or hamlet, rhyn means a hill or mount. The townships of Weston Rhyn and Bronygarth in the ancient parish of St Martins were formed into a separate ecclesiastical district known as “the Lodge” in 1870 (the inn still bears its name), and then in 1898 into the civil parish of Weston Rhyn.
The village is on the Shrewsbury to Chester railway line, but has no station. Its former station of Preesgweene (later known as Weston Rhyn) closed in 1960. The nearest stations today are Chirk and Gobowen. The village lies to the west of the A5 trunk road.
It is surrounded by beautiful countryside, the Welsh hills and Offa's Dyke to the west, and the River Ceiriog (which forms the border with Denbighshire) to the north. Originally a mining village, the pits have long since closed. Despite this, the village has in recent years expanded, with people working locally or commuting as far as Chester, Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Birmingham and Manchester.
Weston Rhyn has three churches (Presbyterian Church of Wales, Quinta Independent Evangelical Church and St John's Church of England), two pubs, Chinese takeaway/chip shop, village hall, primary school, Sunday school and general store. Close to Weston Rhyn is the Quinta Christian Centre, which is home to the missionary organisation Operation Mobilisation.
- Dr Frederick William Price FRSE (1873-1957) cardiologist and medical author
- G. G. Lerry, "Collieries of Denbighshire", 1968
- C. Neville Hurdsman, "A History of the Parishes of St. Martin's & Weston Rhyn" 2003
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Weston Rhyn)
- "Quinta Independent Evangelical Church". http://www.quintapress.com/church-history.htm.
- Weston Rhyn is part of the Community Online forum http://www.community-online.co.uk