The Hundred of Trigg or Triggshire is one of ten hundreds of Cornwall. It is in the north of the county, eastward of the River Camel, bounded by Pydarshire to the west and Lesnewth Hundred to the east, with West Wivelshire meeting it over Bodmin Moor to the south. It had a population of 28,276 in 2011.
Trigg is mentioned by name during the 7th century, as "Pagus Tricurius", "land of three war hosts". King Alfred's will names a manor he owned in Triggshire, which here is named Triconscir, amongst his other possessions on Wealum ('amongst the Welsh', which is to say in Cornwall). The manor in Triggshire left to his son and heir, Edward, is Stratton so it is clear that Alfred's Triconscir was wider than the Hundred of today, perhaps encompassing Triggshire, the Lesnewth Hundred and the Stratton Hundred, which three hundreds make cover the whole north-western part of Cornwall.
Triggshire includes much of Bodmin Moor and the town of Bodmin, and the district to the west and north of the Moor. An ancient Cornish capital, Tintagel Castle, is in Triggshire and the high incidence of imported pottery from the period found there suggests that this was an area of high significance, where war bands from the region may have congregated.
The name Trigg might be cognate with that of Trégor (Bro-Dreger) in Brittany across the sea. The name is used for the ecclesiastical deaneries of Trigg Major and Trigg Minor which cover a wider area not identical to the hundred boundaries.
The ancient parishes of Triggshire are:
The name Triggshire has been adopted by different clubs and organisations in the area. Triggshire Wind Orchestra, an amateur orchestra for wind players primarily from local schools. The orchestra was set up in 1984. Triggshire String Orchestra has been established in its wake.
Triggshire Morris Men are a long established Morris Dancing club.
The historian Sir John Maclean (1811-1895) came from Trehudreth in Blisland and his "Parochial History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor" (1872-1879) in 3 volumes is the most detailed work of parochial history which deals with Cornwall (the deanery consisted of 20 parishes at the time he wrote). It was published in parts intended for binding as three volumes: there was also a separate edition of the part on Blisland. (His name was originally John Lean but he adopted that of Maclean in the erroneous belief that he had Maclean ancestors.)
- Thomas Moule, The Hundred of Trigg, 1838
- Concert by Triggshire String Orchestra
- Sir John Maclean Parochial and Family History of the Parish of St Menefreda alias St Minfre alias St Minver in the County of Cornwall; 1876
- Morris, John: The Age of Arthur: a history of the British Isles from 350 to 650. (Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1993)
- Alan Kent (March 1993). "Sir John Maclean". http://genealogy.eproject.co.nz/maclean_family/Maclean_article.php. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- Shaw, Thomas (1963) The Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit, 1743-1963 (Wesleyan Methodism and later Methodism)
|Hundreds of Cornwall