|Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney|
Treharris is a small town in the Taff Bargoed Valley in Glamorgan. It is less than a mile west of Trelewis, from which it is separated by the Taff Bargoed river, and a mile from Nelson, Glamorgan. It had a population of 6,252 recorded in 2001. As a community, Treharris includes the villages of Quakers Yard and Edwardsville.
Due to steepness and narrowness of both the Taff and Taff Bargoed valleys at Treharris several notable bridges and viaducts have been built in the area.
The town was formed around Harris's Deep Navigation Colliery, which begun coal mining excavations in 1878, after sinking started in 1872. The colliery and village were named after Frederick William Harris and his Harris Navigation Steam Coal Company. Originally known as Harris's Navigation Pits, the Deep Navigation shafts were the deepest at the time in South Wales. With the some shafts sunk to a depth of 760 yards to access the Nine Feet Seam, 200 yards deeper than any other colliery in the coalfield. Ownership transferred to the Ocean Coal Co. Ltd. in 1893 - so called because the pit supplied the coal for the transatlantic ocean liners, including the Cunard Line. The pit became known as Deep Navigation Colliery and remained in production until 1991.
During the early 21st century, like many ex-mining villages in the area, Treharris underwent significant regeneration to the town/village centre. Most, if not all of the land where Deep Navigation was situated has been landscaped and is now part of the new Parc Taff Bargoed, where many of the local football and rugby teams train and play.
Sport and leisure
Treharris has the oldest Boys and Girls club in the whole of the United Kingdom.
- Treharris Athletic
- Treharris Mini and Junior Rugby Football Club was founded in 1994.
- Old Merthyr Tydfil: Treharris - Historical Photographs of Treharris.
- More old photos
- Treharris on Genuki
- Pictures of Treharris and the area on Geograph.co.uk
- Davies (2008), pg 554.
- Thomas (1979), pg 27.
- Treharris Boys and Girls Club is back in business University of Glamorgan