Irish: Teach Mealóg
Cypress Grove House, Templeogue
| Dublin South-West /|
The centre of Templeogue is four miles from Dublin city centre to the north and the same distance from the Dublin Mountains to the south, and also to the coast at Dublin Bay on the Irish Sea. The village is at 180 feet above sea level.
The River Dodder forms the southern border with Rathfarnham while the River Poddle forms the northern border with Greenhills and Kimmage. The historical artificial watercourse from the Dodder at Firhouse to the Poddle passed through Templeogue.
Prominent views from Templeogue are of Montpelier Hill three and a half miles to the south-west, topped by the ruin of the Hellfire Club at 1,257 feet, and of Three Rock Mountain (1,476 feet), topped by transmitter masts four and a half miles to the south-east.
Templeogue was originally a small village in the rural, southern part of County Dublin. In the Elizabethan Age it was owned by the Talbot family, who later became prominent as the owners of Mount Talbot. The Talbots estate was forfeit to the Crown on the Restoration of Charles II. In the later seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, it was owned by the Domviles who controlled access to Dublin's main water supply, the River Poddle, which passed through their estates.
In 1801, the Templeogue Road was constructed, originally as a toll road.
Urban expansion of Dublin during the 1950s and 1960s absorbed the village.
Sport and leisure
- Football: Templeogue United FC
- Gaelic Athletics:
- Faughs GAA
- St Jude's GAA
- Rugby: St Mary's College RFC
- Swimming: Templeogue Swimming Club
- Tennis: Templeogue Tennis Club
- Roman Catholic:
- St Pius X Church, which opened on 27 November 1960. A previous church had stood close on Wellington Lane, where the original village of Templeogue was located.
- St Jude's Church, built in 1975 to serve the newer housing estates of Orwell, Willington, Rossmore and surrounding areas.
The poet Austin Clarke lived in Bridge House beside Templeogue Bridge which spanned the River Dodder. After his death, there was a proposal to preserve the house and his library of 6,500 books as a memorial. This was not possible owing to long-term plans to demolish the house and widen the road. The old Templeogue Bridge, built in 1800, and Bridge House were removed and a new bridge was opened by Councillor Mrs. Bernie Malone, Chairman Dublin City Council on 11 December 1984, which was renamed Austin Clarke Bridge in his honour.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- The Story of Templeogue, Templeogue Ladies' Club, 1992-05. Text in PDF form at South County Dublin Libraries. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- Templeogue: Placenames Database of Ireland
- Templeogue - Chronology: South Dublin History
- Dublin Historical Record, Dec. 1942 - Feb. 1943; Volume 5; pages 73–74
- Doyle, Joseph (May 2013). Ten Dozen Waters: The Rivers and Streams of County Dublin (7th ed.). Dublin, Ireland: Rath Eanna Research. ISBN 978-0-9566363-6-2.
- Templeogue United Football Club
- St Pius X Church
- Online Finnegans Wake, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario