St Mary, Studham
|South West Bedfordshire|
Studham is a village in Bedfordshire, in the very south, in a tail-end of the county and running down to the Hertfordshire border. The Buckinghamshire border is a few hundred yards west. This was a village of 1,127 souls in 2001. Whipsnade is just to the north, and the closest town is Dunstable, due north.
The parish church is St Mary the Virgin. It has fine war memorial panels and a photographic memorial too. There is a beautiful Norman font carved with animals and foliage, and 13th century foliate capitals.
The church celebrated its millennium in 1997.
In the Domesday Book of the village is recorded as Estodham.
The ancient parish of Studham straddles the Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire border, as do the civil and ecclesiastical parishes, although the latter are slightly smaller in extent.
The village currently has two pubs, the older of which, The Bell, dates from before the Civil War. In the early 20th century, work to make safe the old well in the pub garden revealed discarded or hidden Civil War weapons.
The village still retains substantial common land that was not lost as a result of the Inclosure Acts.
In the early evening of 23 May 1948 an ex-RAF Handley Page Halifax, registered G-AIZO, and operated by Bond Air Services Ltd. carrying a cargo of apricots from Valencia in Spain, crashed at Studham.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Studham pages at the Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service
- Aeroplane Monthly - May 1984 issue - Unscheduled Arrival article - P. 252-253